Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Moving through a friendly infantry SuG  (Read 1519 times)

Hammy

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Moving through a friendly infantry SuG
« on: March 01, 2023, 10:04:58 AM »
I was playing at the weekend and as usual I have lots of infantry SuGs on the table. We were using the PDF rules rather than the book and while it seems the words may not have changed the fact that one of the words in the PDF is hyperlinked to another section may have inadvertently done so.

In the hardback in section 9.3>H>3.2 it says:

"However, TuGs may displace SuGs they are passing through back to behind them to make enough room."

In section 4>6.2 it says:

"TuGs may displace SuGs they are passing through back to behind them to make enough room."

On the surface it seems that there is no change but the word displace in the PDF is hyperlinked to a definition of displacement and thus it is limited to 1 BW.

I had always played the 1 BW limit for when you pushed a SuG sideways out of the way but not for when they are displaced behind. Limiting the displacement back to 1 BW puts a major restriction on TuGs moving forwards when there is a SuG in front of them. Consider a SuG that is directly in front of and lined up with a TuG to its rear but with a 1.25 BW gap to the TuG. If the TuG is 3 ranks deep and moves forwards a full 3 BW in a straight line then even though the front of the TuG will get beyond the front of the SuG the SuG cannot be displaced as it needs to go back more than 1 BW.

It is perfectly possible I have always been playing things wrong, is it intentional that a friendly SuG can prevent the move of a Friendly TuG even if there is loads of room behind the moving TuG?

Hammy

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Re: Moving through a friendly infantry SuG
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 10:28:09 AM »
Having gone on to the next page (P50) there is a diagram where a SuG is displaced back by the minimum but that distance happens to be more than 1 BW.

LawrenceG

• Centurion
    • View Profile
    • Travel Terrain shop
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 10:45:45 AM »
Having gone on to the next page (P50) there is a diagram where a SuG is displaced back by the minimum but that distance happens to be more than 1 BW.

In that diagram, it's not clear where the original position of the SUG was. However, the purple arrow indicating  (I assume)  the displacement vector, is only half a base.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 11:00:00 AM »
The diagram is possibly confusing.

Hammy is reading it as 2 consecutive moves by the same UGs - and I can see why - but I do not think that is what it is representing. Looking closely at it I agree with Lawrence that the SUG has only been displaced by 1/2 BW.

An improved diagram would help. One for the next big update already  ::)
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Hammy

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 11:04:56 AM »
The diagram is possibly confusing.

Hammy is reading it as 2 consecutive moves by the same UGs - and I can see why - but I do not think that is what it is representing. Looking closely at it I agree with Lawrence that the SUG has only been displaced by 1/2 BW.

An improved diagram would help. One for the next big update already  ::)
The diagram says "by the minimum necessary" there is no mention of a maximum or 1 BW.

I can now see a small purple arrow, I was focused on the red lines on the right.

LawrenceG

• Centurion
    • View Profile
    • Travel Terrain shop
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 12:09:22 PM »
The diagram says "by the minimum necessary" there is no mention of a maximum or 1 BW.

4.G, immediately after the diagram, says "a friendly SuG can be displaced by the minimum necessary, and up to 1BW, to make room ...".

And, as the OP said, 4.F.6.2 links to the glossary, which says "The shunting of an UG in any direction up to 1BW to make room ..."

Given that the PDF is intended to be a clarification, not a change, to the printed rules, it seems this limit was intended all along. I note also that TuGs obstruct SuGs that don't have enough move to get fully through them, so it seems intended to limit "voluntary" passing through in general.

Hammy

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 12:12:19 PM »
4.G, immediately after the diagram, says "a friendly SuG can be displaced by the minimum necessary, and up to 1BW, to make room ...".

And, as the OP said, 4.F.6.2 links to the glossary, which says "The shunting of an UG in any direction up to 1BW to make room ..."

Given that the PDF is intended to be a clarification, not a change, to the printed rules, it seems this limit was intended all along. I note also that TuGs obstruct SuGs that don't have enough move to get fully through them, so it seems intended to limit "voluntary" passing through in general.
It does but passing through friends is 4.F
The only reference to 1 BW is by use of the word displace and displace limits to 1 BW.
That is the whole point of my question.
I have never played (or noticed played) a limit of 1 BW to the displacement of a SuG that has been moved through by a TuG.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2023, 01:31:34 PM »
So lots of people have played it incorrectly.

Hopefully this topic and the PDF structure will lead them to play it correctly now  ;D
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

badhabum

• Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2023, 02:49:11 PM »

Hopefully this topic and the PDF structure will lead them to play it correctly now  ;D

Could you please explain exactly how it must be done ?

And will there be an update with it in the available PDF ?

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2023, 03:08:07 PM »

Could you please explain exactly how it must be done ?

If a TUG passes through a friendly SUG any displacement is restricted to the minimum necessary with a maximum of 1BW* and not the unlimited displacement that some, many even, have played previously (no doubt for various reasons).

Note, however, that in the case of passing through a friendly SUG the displacement must place the SUG "behind" ** the TUG; in other cases such as the displacement meaning there is no passing through, the displacement could be in any direction.

I think a key thing to remember is that it is a displacement, and thus 4G applies.

And will there be an update with it in the available PDF ?

IMO the wording in the updated PDF is sufficient (and pretty much as the 1st release of the PDF), although as noted the diagram in 4F could be improved but that will have to wait.

* usual restrictions about not displacing the SUG into shooting range of enemy it could not previously shoot at, etc.

** no doubt this will now cause a discussion of what is meant by "behind"; IIRC we had one a bit back so a check for that may help head off some of it  :P

Hammy

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2023, 03:44:14 PM »
IMO the wording in the updated PDF is sufficient (and pretty much as the 1st release of the PDF), although as noted the diagram in 4F could be improved but that will have to wait.
I agree, it is the wording (and the fact that displace is now linked) that made me realise I had been playing wrong for years. If the word displace had been in italics or bold in the old rules I would not have gotten to the place I did.

No need to change the PDF, it is just confirming that the words in the PDF say what they mean.

badhabum

• Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2023, 04:43:51 PM »
So the displaced SUG must be behind but may be displaced in any direction ( with usual restrictions, 1 BW max, shooting range and so on  )

Hammy

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2023, 04:50:53 PM »
So the displaced SUG must be behind but may be displaced in any direction ( with usual restrictions, 1 BW max, shooting range and so on  )
If you move through then the SuG must go behind 4-F

If you move near a SuG then it can be displaced sideways 4-G

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2023, 05:19:30 PM »

Indeed  :D

The minimum distance requirement will probably determine the direction a lot of the time though.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2023, 05:22:23 PM »
If you move through then the SuG must go behind 4-F

If you move near a SuG then it can be displaced sideways 4-G

Any direction.