Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barricaded TUGs and Deployment  (Read 402 times)

Princeps

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
Barricaded TUGs and Deployment
« on: February 28, 2023, 10:06:06 AM »
Hello,

Barricades rule (Rulebook pp. 127-128) states that "1. TuGs so equipped must be deployed immediately after any camp placement."

Should an army have more TUGs equipped with Barricades than it should deploy in the first wave of the deployment (outscout or first normal batch), which one of these conclusions is correct ?
  • The army deploys all its Barricaded TUGs in the first wave, irrelevant of the number of units it should normally deploy ;
  • The army deploys as many Barricaded TUGs as it should in the first wave, and deploys the rest in the second (and, if relevant, subsequent) wave(s).

Best regards,
Antoine
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 10:11:28 AM by Princeps »

tarnowski1

• Legionary
    • View Profile
Re: Barricaded TUGs and Deployment
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 11:25:31 AM »
Option 2 is the accepted norm, it has been discussed before . The actual rule on deployment in the rule book is '1. An outscouted player first deploys that % of his UGs rounded up (i.e., in addition to
the camp as above). If there is no outscouting then the defender starts by deploying 1/3
(rounded up) of their UGs.
2. For both sides their camp is always the first item placed, then any troops with barricades or
obstacles (not battlewagons), any artillery and then any expendables. After that you have free
choice of the order in which you deploy your UGs.'

Princeps

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 03:48:16 PM »
Thank you for your answer. In the light of your quote, I would suggest there is a possible contradiction between it and the use of immediately in the rule for Barricades.

I would think that it is always better, especially with non-native speakers such as myself and other people on the continent, to have an explicit rule rather than a accepted norm, especially when there is a possible clash between two sections of the rulebook. Maybe a clarifying rephrasing in subsequent versions of rules would be welcome ?

By the way, I have looked for the discussion you're referring to (I in fact looked for it before starting the thread), and have so far been unable to find it using the search function of the forums, and neither could I find it in the Claries and Errata of this subsection of the forum. So, would it be insufferably presumptuous to think that a passive-agressive answer is unnecessary ?

Have a nice day,

Antoine

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 04:49:24 PM »
I think the wording isn't helpful.  I will look to change it in future to "1. TuGs so equipped are deployed before other UGs (see PBS5.A).