Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: C-in-C and SUG attack  (Read 1052 times)

Ambiorix

• Legionary
    • View Profile
C-in-C and SUG attack
« on: November 21, 2022, 03:31:11 PM »
Hello,
Just came back from a wonderful MEG Tournament in Athens, can highly recommend it (the good food and sunshine are complimentary).

During my games, following questions arose (although had no impact on the game outcome).

- A professional C-in-C commanding only one unit, lost this unit and was killed. As the rule states on p93, no replacement
  general will occur when all its units are lost.  But the argument was that he is a C-in-C so needs to be replaced, even if no
  units of his 'command' are remaining because the C-in-C commands ALL units in the army (except Allies). Seems logic.

- A SUG charges an enemy SUG (or TUG  1 base from breaking) who evades. While charging, the SUG would then contact
  another revealed (intact) enemy TUG but the SUG cannot contact in this charge 'as SUGs needs to stay 1 BW away' from the
  TUG.

Is the above correct, if so, where can I find it in the rules?
Thx for your guidance.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
Re: C-in-C and SUG attack
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 06:21:59 PM »
On the question about the general I don't think the rules actually cover this  :P

On the SUG charging there is no such rule that says SUGs needs to stay 1 BW away from a TUG if they are charging. Pre-Compendium there was a clarrie which said that, however, this was not incorporated into the Compendium. The charging SUG may be in trouble  ;)
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 08:23:04 AM »
On the issue of the Army Commander being killed with no UGs left in the command.

The rules currently indicate the AC does not return.  Page 93 "if there are no UGs remaining in the command, then no replacement general appears". The concept of line of command only applies for KaB tests.

Don't get your AC killed....

A SuG charging into a TuG is destroyed unless the TuG is within 1 base of breaking (or it is a Flexible in SuG formation).

Richard

Ambiorix

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 07:36:18 PM »
ok, so I was correct on both occasions  ;D.
and didnt overlook something in the rules (this time)

tarnowski1

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 06:27:16 PM »
On the issue of the Army Commander being killed with no UGs left in the command.

The rules currently indicate the AC does not return.  Page 93 "if there are no UGs remaining in the command, then no replacement general appears". The concept of line of command only applies for KaB tests.

Don't get your AC killed....

A SuG charging into a TuG is destroyed unless the TuG is within 1 base of breaking (or it is a Flexible in SuG formation).

Richard

I thought this had been ruled that the AC always came back even if his command was dead? as the knock effect to a floating AC meant he had to be really really careful.  ;)

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 07:35:48 PM »
I thought this had been ruled that the AC always came back even if his command was dead? as the knock effect to a floating AC meant he had to be really really careful.  ;)

Where?   It is not in the rulebook or the current clarifications.  Wishful thinking?

Floating ACs do need to be careful, but it is quite hard to kill an AC who doesn't fight...

tarnowski1

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 09:06:21 PM »
indeed, didnt say it was, something we touched on in a podcast with Mr Cummings iirc, from memory argument was army commander counts the entire army as his command or some such.

tarnowski1

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 06:18:08 PM »
it was this, from the clarries

'DOES AN ARMY COMMANDER COUNT AS IN LINE OF COMMAND OF ALL UGS IN AN ARMY WHETHER
FLOATING OR NOT? DOES THIS APPLY TO ALLIED TROOPS? Yes – see Page 170 B3; this explains the exclusion
for allied troops.'

whether that means they class as being in his command for those purposes I dont know.

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2022, 06:53:36 PM »
it was this, from the clarries

'DOES AN ARMY COMMANDER COUNT AS IN LINE OF COMMAND OF ALL UGS IN AN ARMY WHETHER
FLOATING OR NOT? DOES THIS APPLY TO ALLIED TROOPS? Yes – see Page 170 B3; this explains the exclusion
for allied troops.'

whether that means they class as being in his command for those purposes I dont know.

But the rule about commanders being replaced never talks about line of command.  It talks about any UGs remaining in "the command" (my emphasis).  As I said earlier, line of command only applies to KaB tests.

Richard

Onurbm

• MeG Moderator
  • Legionary
  • Wuji
    • View Profile
    • Ost de Rueil Malmaison
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2022, 10:28:31 PM »

True then rule needs an amendment …
 should the c-c be disabled  someone will take command . Who ? How ?  :o
Bruno
La question n’est pas de savoir si nous aurons le temps mais bien , ce que nous allons faire avec le temps qui nous est imparti .
GANDALF

badhabum

• Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2022, 11:42:32 AM »
Perhaps a more precise definition of "line of command" is needed

So What is the line of command of  a floating professional CIC ?

What is the line of command of a professional commander as he may give orders to ANY UG ?

Repeat : an ally is a separate command

Instinctive each have their own command

For a dead CIC : he obeys the general rule if he has no more unit under his orders or was floating he will not be replaced bad luck to you

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2022, 01:03:05 PM »
I don't think there is any issue about "line of command".  Line of command for an army commander includes any non-allied troops.

The point I keep repeating is that the rule about dead army commanders is that line of command doesn't apply.  The rule specifically states that the general is not replaced if there are no UGs in "the command".  The command is the UGs directly allocated to the general.

It might be better if the rule was rewritten to say that the general is not replaced if there are no UGs in the general's line of command - but that is NOT what the rule currently says.

Richard

badhabum

• Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2022, 03:21:30 PM »
I don't think there is any issue about "line of command".  Line of command for an army commander includes any non-allied troops.

The point I keep repeating is that the rule about dead army commanders is that line of command doesn't apply.  The rule specifically states that the general is not replaced if there are no UGs in "the command".  The command is the UGs directly allocated to the general.

It might be better if the rule was rewritten to say that the general is not replaced if there are no UGs in the general's line of command - but that is NOT what the rule currently says.

Richard

I must admit Iam now lost so if someone could help me understand as I might have made some mistakes along the way :

I read pg 92 and 93 but do not find any references do a dead CIC only to dead generals and a "general" rule that says that if there are no UGs remaining  in the command , the no replacement general appears.

So a CIC who has a command and surviving UGs will comme back . If he has no surviving UGs or was floating he is gone.

QRS KAB states : killing a general : test UG in line of command within 2 BW, 6 BW if legendary.!

So what is "in line of command" as I found no definition of it and what is the line of command of a CIC that has UGs under it's command , the whole army or just it's command ?

I may seem dumb but nowhere is this described or I cannot read between lines not being English native sorry guys I am just a poor continental guy

badhabum

• Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2022, 04:15:40 PM »
OK finally found something pg 170  3.1 .

May I suggest it be explained also under "generals" and a definition of line of command .

I had to go trough all the rules as I first looked for a definition of Line Of Command ( just a poor continental guy ) I looked at it under genrals, definition and PG 171 point 8 ..stuck with the word general