Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Late Roman horse archers and general  (Read 2432 times)

Nathan

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Late Roman horse archers and general
« on: March 05, 2021, 02:26:43 PM »
I've finished another unit for my Late Romans - the Equites Secundo Sagittarii, at least that's the shield pattern I chose.

They are the old Asgard / Table Top Games riders (now Alternative Armies) with a mix of Asgard and Minifigs horses. To get some variety I did a couple of head swaps, made hats for others and one complete body swap to salvage a damaged figure (and avoid paying postage for one replacement figure). I also modified some of the cloaks with filing and, for some, additions of Milliput. The shields are sequins scrounged from my wife's sewing supplies with the bosses made from more Milliput.

I've also done another general using a real mix of figures: a Gladiator Games one-piece casting for the general, a modified Minifigs heavy cavalryman carrying the vexillum and a Minifigs trumpeter on a horse I found in my scrap and spares box.

I need at least one more general and have a few extras to paint to give an extra couple of bases for the cataphracts, heavy cavalry and the three legionary units but this is the last full unit for my old lead pile of 1980s Minifigs and Asgard Romans. The last units to complete this army will be a couple of Auxilia Palatina units and a trio of bolt throwers using modern Legio Heroica figures.

There are more photos and a more detailed write up on my blog. https://smallitalianwars.blogspot.com

I've not forgotten Dru asking about a shot of the whole army lined up. I took some photos yesterday - just need to crop and re-scale them and I will add them on here in the next few days.

Atheling

• Legionary
    • View Profile
Re: Late Roman horse archers and general
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 10:49:40 AM »
Excellent work. The conversions have some out exceptionally well adding just the right amount of variety to the unit  8)

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 10:58:17 AM »
More lovely stuff there  8)
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Nathan

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 12:14:38 PM »
Thanks for the comments and encouragement.

I've taken some photos of what I have done so far for this army. After originally buying a lot of the figures with my pocket money in the early 1980s, I picked it up again in January 2019 so either way I won't be winning any awards for speed painting!

I need two more infantry units and at least one more general to make this a usable army and hope to have them done in time for when the restrictions allow us to meet up for games without having to be 2m apart and outside

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 12:18:14 PM »
I need two more infantry units and at least one more general to make this a usable army and hope to have them done in time for when the restrictions allow us to meet up for games without having to be 2m apart and outside

Where are you based Nathan?

Sure you've mentioned it but afraid I can't remember.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Atheling

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 12:27:22 PM »
That is one beautiful looking army!!!  8) 8) 8)

Nathan

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 12:31:28 PM »

I'm in Coventry.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 12:57:30 PM »

I'm in Coventry.

We're looking to have a bash at Battlefield Hobbies in Daventry as soon as practicable - not too far for you. Maybe see you there some time  :D

Nathan

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2021, 07:48:57 AM »
We're looking to have a bash at Battlefield Hobbies in Daventry as soon as practicable - not too far for you. Maybe see you there some time  :D

That sounds good and not too far at all. I'll keep an eye out for news and try to get along.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2021, 08:08:13 AM »
It'll be posted in the Tournaments section of this forum.

jamie

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2021, 04:46:36 PM »
Cracking painting/cracking army. I think the cataphracts are my favourite (the foil pennants to match the osprey image are a nice touch), though it's hard to choose something as a stand out from such quality. Can't quite believe it's 15mm. Having a forged in battle Roman watch tower in my "to paint" pile I'm very tempted to steal, er..., I mean, use your Roman camp idea as a precedent... as well as your magnetic removable colour coded shields on command bases idea...

Nathan

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 07:47:00 AM »
It'll be posted in the Tournaments section of this forum.
A tournament, hmm: better get some practice games in first. I hope you have a category for novices with a talent for drawing a hand full of black and white cards!

I think the cataphracts are my favourite (the foil pennants to match the osprey image are a nice touch)...

Thanks. I was pleased with the pennants - they were quite easy to do and I think they create a bit of visual interest where otherwise there would be none. I can tell you though that, by the time I painted the last square of horse armour on the last horse, they were my least favourite unit ever. I'm never doing a Parthian army or anything like that!

Dunhelm

• TWZ Team
  • Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 10:42:20 AM »
Hi Nathan

Hope all's well with you and the family.

As always, your painting is fantastic.

I'll be going to Battlefield Hobbies for a game when permitted (Hammy thinks late May with rule of 6 reintroduced )

Dave and I have been a few times. We usually book tables on a Saturday.

Lee

Nathan

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2021, 08:54:54 PM »
Hi "Dunhelm",

All OK, thanks, hope you are too now we are back to the school run.

Yes, Dave told me you had been a few times. I'm looking forward to getting back to normal on games and would love to come along to Daventry some time - I should at least have this LR army complete by then!

By the way, I've been playing with some WW2 command and control ideas and hope to have something worth sharing by the time we can.

Nathan.

Dunhelm

• TWZ Team
  • Psiloi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2021, 07:19:04 AM »
Hi Nathan

Yes, back on the school run.

We hope to start playing as soon as restrictions allow after Easter.

PM me and Dave and we can discuss timings.

Cheers

Lee