Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: skirmishing: fleeing question  (Read 991 times)

badhabum

• Imperator
    • View Profile
skirmishing: fleeing question
« on: April 01, 2024, 11:00:22 AM »
I was a bit confused yesterday so here is the question

A mounted TUG being charged chooses to skirmish so would move 5 MU minus 2 MU for skirmishing ( and minus one he had unlucky dice )so he would be able to move 3 MU facing the charger

But after one MU the TUG enters rough terrain where the movement is only 3 MU for loose mounted

So should we stick with 3 possible MU or should we say max move is 3 MU, minus 2 for skirmishing as you enter terrain that restricts movement ?

rayfredjohn

• Bibo Ergo Sum
  • T/O
  • Tribunus
  • Wargamer Based in Surrey and West Sussex
    • View Profile
Re: skirmishing: fleeing question
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 12:40:16 PM »
Firstly: 5MU less 2MU for skirmishing, less 1MU for “unlucky dice”
Is skirmish move of 2MU

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 01:37:31 PM »
I was a bit confused yesterday so here is the question

A mounted TUG being charged chooses to skirmish so would move 5 MU minus 2 MU for skirmishing ( and minus one he had unlucky dice )so he would be able to move 3 MU facing the charger

But after one MU the TUG enters rough terrain where the movement is only 3 MU for loose mounted

So should we stick with 3 possible MU or should we say max move is 3 MU, minus 2 for skirmishing as you enter terrain that restricts movement

The maximum move depends upon the terrain entered.  The skirmisher reaches the edge of the terrain at which point the maximum move in that terrain doesn't allow them to enter the terrain.  As a result they stop at the point the contact the terrain.  Skirmishers need to be very wary of terrain behind them.  It may allow them to be caught by their opponents (this did happen historically).

badhabum

• Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 04:57:47 PM »
MMMM I was not cristal clear

The skirmishing TUG starts with 5 MU minus 2 MU because it starts in open but after retreating 1 MU enters terrain .

so what should we do

1 ) move the TUG 2 more MU in the terrain and so move it's full 3 MU

2 ) say that as it enters terrain , skirmishing distance is now the max movement in terrain minus 2 MU for skirmishing so 3 minus 2 is 1 MU or can it keep the 3 MU as it started in the open ....is this better

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2024, 05:36:36 PM »

The skirmishing TUG starts with 5 MU minus 2 MU because it starts in open but after retreating 1 MU enters terrain .

so what should we do

2 ) say that as it enters terrain , skirmishing distance is now the max movement in terrain minus 2 MU for skirmishing so 3 minus 2 is 1 MU or can it keep the 3 MU as it started in the open ....is this better

Your maximum movement distance is reduced by any terrain you enter - is that clear enough.  If you would exceed the movement distance, you cannot enter that terrain - I am not sure I can make it any clearer.

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2024, 05:49:24 PM »
An example of what Richard has said would be that if your maximum move in a type of terrain was, say, 3 BW, if you have moved 3 or more BW by the time you meet the terrain then you don't move any more and don't go into the terrain.

In your example if the move due to skirmishing is 1 BW in the terrain it will enter, then if the skirmishing UG meets the terrain having moved 1 BW or more then it stops at the edge.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

LawrenceG

• Centurion
    • View Profile
    • Travel Terrain shop
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2024, 10:23:53 PM »
Kudos to Nik for making it clearer.

In your example if the move due to skirmishing is 1 BW in the terrain it will enter, then if the skirmishing UG meets the terrain having moved 1 BW or more then it stops at the edge.

badhabum

• Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2024, 07:55:05 PM »

so what should we do

Your maximum movement distance is reduced by any terrain you enter - is that clear enough.  If you would exceed the movement distance, you cannot enter that terrain - I am not sure I can make it any clearer.

That is pretty clear and that I know so I'll rephrase and try to make the question understandable

The TUG is a mounted one, moves 5 MU and does skirmish and it starts in the open so MAX move is 3 MU or should be 3 MU in the OPEN.

Now what happens if it enters terrain ? does it keep the MAX 3 MU because it starts from open terrain ? or should it be reduced to(  MAX speed in rough terrain minus 2 MU for skirmishing +/- the dice ) .

3 MU being the max move in rough terrain that we know, but computing the skirmishing distance on best open terrain or adapt on rough terrain changes everything :-)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 07:57:06 PM by badhabum »

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2024, 08:11:38 PM »
Ho hum.

I really think this has been answered above, but let us have another go.

Start by looking at the movement allowed in the terrain you are in. If that movement takes you into terrain that will slow you, you then look at the movement distance for that terrain; if you have already exceeded that by getting to the terrain you stop at the edge of the terrain, otherwise you keep moving until you reach the limit of the movement distance for the terrain you are entering.

So, an example using your skirmish situation.

If a Loose Cavalry UG is skirmishing and starts in Good Going it has a skirmish move of 3 BW (5BW - 2BW); we will assume for this that it does not roll a VMD that changes this. Let us say there is a piece of Rough Going 2 BW behind it in the direction of the skirmish move. The Cv usually has a move of 3 BW in such terrain, therefore, in a skirmish this would be 1 BW (again, assuming no VMD alteration). So you move the UG backwards; when it meets the RGo it has moved 2 BW which is greater than the movement it is allowed in a skirmish move in RGo (1 BW as above) and, therefore, it stops at the edge of the terrain.

If instead of a Skirmish it was doing a Run Away then the move distance in the RGo would be 3 BW, therefore, when it meets the RGo after moving 2 BW it still has 1 BW movement allowed and so could move that for a total Run Away of 3 BW.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

badhabum

• Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2024, 08:46:05 PM »
 :)