Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: List 3416 - Charlemagne Carolingian  (Read 604 times)

rayfredjohn

• Bibo Ergo Sum
  • T/O
  • Tribunus
  • Wargamer Based in Surrey and West Sussex
    • View Profile
List 3416 - Charlemagne Carolingian
« on: February 13, 2024, 03:31:10 PM »
Caballarii Scara
I believe these were the elite Royal Guard of the Carolingian Empire. There is a list note as follows;
Note: Caballarii Scara must be in the army commander's command. If taken, the AC cannot float.

I wondered why the Caballarii Scara and Charlemagne aren't treated as other significant leaders and their body guards. So it would read

Note: If taken, the Caballarii Scara must be in the army commander's command.
SPECIAL RULE: The army commander may still be a floating general, directly commanding only the Caballarii Scara. If so, the army commander must remain with the Caballarii Scara (unless the Caballarii Scara are broken or the army commander killed).

Caballarii archers, Cavalry, Devastating Chargers
What are these troops?  Is this an errata?

Thanks in advance for looking

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
Re: List 3416 - Charlemagne Carolingian
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2024, 04:17:43 PM »
Caballarii Scara
I believe these were the elite Royal Guard of the Carolingian Empire. There is a list note as follows;
Note: Caballarii Scara must be in the army commander's command. If taken, the AC cannot float.

I wondered why the Caballarii Scara and Charlemagne aren't treated as other significant leaders and their body guards. So it would read

Note: If taken, the Caballarii Scara must be in the army commander's command.
SPECIAL RULE: The army commander may still be a floating general, directly commanding only the Caballarii Scara. If so, the army commander must remain with the Caballarii Scara (unless the Caballarii Scara are broken or the army commander killed).

Allowing the C-in-C to float in such cases does not apply to all armies that have these sorts of bodyguards. Hittite Empire and NKE are examples that don't (to pick 2 armies I have as examples).

Bit of a subjective judgement call as to when it is and isn't allowed to be sure, one of those "getting the right feel" things for a list writer.

Caballarii archers, Cavalry, Devastating Chargers
What are these troops?  Is this an errata?

Thanks in advance for looking

Troops mentioned in a capitulary as being required to supply a bow as well as their other equipment. Do not seem to have used them mounted, but they have an option to be fielded as infantry with Bow.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

rayfredjohn

• Bibo Ergo Sum
  • T/O
  • Tribunus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 04:50:27 PM »
But I want it

;)

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 07:21:29 PM »
Doesn't make that much difference in my experience once you get your head round how it actually works out in play - especially if you make Chuck a legendary general  8)
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

rayfredjohn

• Bibo Ergo Sum
  • T/O
  • Tribunus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 08:46:13 AM »
Chuck has to be legendary  8)