Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Proposal for Elephant Mounted Generals  (Read 3389 times)

LawrenceG

• Centurion
    • View Profile
    • Travel Terrain shop
Re: Proposal for Elephant Mounted Generals
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2023, 06:20:39 AM »
If the points cost of elephants is based on them not being able to be helped by generals, is allowing some generals to help them going to imbalance things?

Just mentioning it to ensure it gets considered by the people best qualified to make a judgement.

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2023, 06:33:13 AM »
If the points cost of elephants is based on them not being able to be helped by generals, is allowing some generals to help them going to imbalance things?

Just mentioning it to ensure it gets considered by the people best qualified to make a judgement.

The points cost is the points cost of elephants.  It is not calculated on some magic formula that takes into account them not being able to be helped by generals.

The judgement is whether the change will make the current points cost is over-beneficial to existing armies that have a lot of elephants. Adding a general to a combat with elephants is likely to be risky as they are small UGs and prone to breaking, particularly if overlapped.

Richard

Rino

• Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2023, 11:29:06 AM »
Général leading superior elephant ?
The answer is likely.
Explaining an increase of the cost of all elephant because they can now be leaded by general will affect the balance of numerous armies.

I tend to believe it is better not to try to fix something something that is not broken.
It seems to me that it’s working and not needing to be fixed.

Wizard of Oz

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2023, 10:08:46 PM »
I've read the vast majority of recent posts on a number of list related topics with both interest and a growing sense of frustration. These rules and lists are at their core outstanding in my view. And my hat off to the people who work to keep them so, and to those who play often enough to see little things that need tweaking.  Many others would have had more opportunities to play them more often than I (there is at this point no other player I know of within 100s of kilometers of me) and so they may have come across things to fix. But let's be sure it needs fixing first. I am in agreement with Mr Badhabum, a general is a general. Walking, riding a donkey, riding a horse, carried in a litter or sitting on an elephant! It's a nice little visual representation of a focus of command amongst a whole lot of toy soldiers. End of story. Let's not make it any more complex than it needs to be.

Ambiorix

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2023, 11:10:06 PM »
Hi,
Not sure why or how the proposal for Elephant Mounted Generals surfaced again but
as I stated a few years ago, a General as a person will have little impact on the performance of other elephants (besides inspiring the other mahouts to control their pachyderms better). However, Generals in South East Asian ‘Elephant’ Armies, did ride on a special selected huge dominant male elephant which musk and behavior (steered by the General’s mahout) did have an effect on performance of the rest of the hurdle of elephants.  So making the case that (only) a General on a leading elephant can have a positive effect on other elephants in combat seems historic…  ;)

PUNCH

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2023, 09:40:52 AM »
I am in agreement with Mr Badhabum, a general is a general. Walking, riding a donkey, riding a horse, carried in a litter or sitting on an elephant! It's a nice little visual representation of a focus of command amongst a whole lot of toy soldiers. End of story. Let's not make it any more complex than it needs to be.

Hi,

the Wizard of Oz is right ;)

Best regards.

Punch the Jester :)

Onurbm

• MeG Moderator
  • Legionary
  • Wuji
    • View Profile
    • Ost de Rueil Malmaison
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2023, 10:47:04 PM »

I plus on this . General is general.
Bruno
La question n’est pas de savoir si nous aurons le temps mais bien , ce que nous allons faire avec le temps qui nous est imparti .
GANDALF

Jilu

• Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2023, 04:50:43 PM »
i second this
Liberate me ex infernis