Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Can’t post this in the author section, but . . .  (Read 1559 times)

pikeman

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Can’t post this in the author section, but . . .
« on: April 04, 2023, 06:25:58 PM »
There is a review posted from 3/25 identifying problems with the rules edition being offered for purchase. Someone needs to look at this post and respond with revised content or if an invalid post, remove it. I was ready to spend some money and didn’t!

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
Re: Can’t post this in the author section, but . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 09:33:53 PM »
Can you be specific where the post is (preferably with a link)?

There are two extremely minor errors in the print on demand edition, both identified in the forum errata.  Both are quite obscure.
They have both been corrected in the PDF edition.

Richard

nikgaukroger

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2023, 06:26:56 PM »
This topic - https://mortem-et-gloriam.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2904.0

Richard commented in that topic that it was, as far as is known, limited to just 7 copies of the PoD rulebook.

The version for sale now does not have the error.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 08:12:21 PM »
Link:

https://www.lulu.com/shop/nik-gaukroger-and-richard-jeffrey-cook-and-simon-hall/mortem-et-gloriam-maximus-and-magna/paperback/product-vzppvr.html?q=gloriam&page=1&pageSize=4

See attachment for an image.

The review was in Lulu, over which we have no control.  The reviewer has been offered a replacement copy.  Please don't let that put you off buying the rules.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 08:14:26 PM by lionheartrjc »

SteveO

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2023, 12:24:25 AM »
I raised the same issue on this forum and was told I was one of the ‘seven’. I too was offered a free pdf version but already owned it. While disappointing, the bottom line is that the omission in my copy was easily fixed by pasting a copy of the missing paragraphs into my book from the pdf. It does not affect page numbering. In any case, if you purchase the rules now, you won’t face this issue.

I also add that I have rebound my POD version with wire binding - there is no problem with the margins not being wide enough.

I have been a vocal critic of the editing standard of previous versions of the rules and had even sent Simon a dozen pages of suggestions, questions, etc. However, the current version of the rules are a quantum improvement over previous versions. The rules are now much clearer and easier to read. There are still a couple of very minor typos but they are not an issue, even for a pedant such as me.

I echo Richard’s comment to not let this early teething problem with the POD version put you off. No set of wargaming rules are perfect, especially a set that has to cover 3000 plus years of history but for me these come closest. I thoroughly enjoy MeG.