Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anglo-Norman dismounted knights  (Read 1049 times)

AlecJH

• Auxilia
    • View Profile
Anglo-Norman dismounted knights
« on: April 18, 2021, 09:09:40 AM »
We have just decided to do a battle in a couple of based on the Battle of Tinchebrai in 1107 CE in which it appears King Henry I decided to dismount his knights.

Looking at the dismounted knight option in the notes to the Anglo-Norman list it allows them to have Melee expert whereas in the main list I see that for mounted knights Melee Expert is only an optional characteristic, so in theory they don’t have to pay for it but would nevertheless get it on dismounting.

Is this intentional or should the Melee Expert characteristic be compulsory if taking the Dismountable characteristic?

Regards

Alec
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
Re: Anglo-Norman dismounted knights
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 08:13:50 AM »
It is intentional. 

Average Knights without melee expert, but dismountable are 123 pts.  Equivalent infantry to the dismounted knights are only 88 pts - so I cannot see a lot of people picking the knights without melee expert just to dismount them...

A scenario game obviously is slightly different but then you don't really have to stick to the points.

Richard

Ambiorix

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 11:08:41 AM »
It is intentional. 

Average Knights without melee expert, but dismountable are 123 pts.  Equivalent infantry to the dismounted knights are only 88 pts - so I cannot see a lot of people picking the knights without melee expert just to dismount them...

Richard

Interesting...but I wonder why for the Norman milites in 1071 AD this is the exact opposite (losing ME even if paid for) and for Sicilian Normans in 1072 AD there is no special rule at all..., seems a bit strange, especially as these seem to be all the same troop type. Or was this an oversight ?
Thx for shedding light on this.

Ambiorix

• Legionary
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 08:51:50 PM »
any update/clarification on this apparent discrimination?  :P

badhabum

• Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 04:04:28 PM »
any update/clarification on this apparent discrimination?  :P

UP curious to have the answer

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 06:06:32 PM »
I have 630+ lists to sort out for 2023.  I will not be giving updates on each individual change.  I will look at it when I get to the Medieval armies.

lionheartrjc

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 01:34:11 PM »
I am not planning any changes to these classifications.  The Normans dismount as a defensive choice, getting Shieldwall.  They much preferred to stay on their horses.

In Anglo-Norman times there was more willingness to fight on foot, probably due to the nature of the opponents faced (Scots and Welsh).  Even so dismounting with melee expert isn't great value from a points perspective.

Richard