Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PACTO turn and move  (Read 777 times)

AntiokosIII

• Centurion
    • View Profile
PACTO turn and move
« on: September 26, 2020, 10:21:41 PM »
These questions came up in a game played over videophone with Steve Stead. It was my first game of PACTO, his 2nd IIRC.

I had 3 units of cavalry in a group, all 2 stands deep.

ABC
ABC

Unit C was formed loose ,and given a yellow card to turn 90 degrees right, move slightly forward, and then wheel so as to face in the original direction. This prompted several questions.

(1) is the turn possible at all? Once the turn is made, the new front is 40MM from the flank of B, and the unit is 60mm deep. It doesn’t fit.
(2) It looks like one only loses 1BW movement for the turn, not the minimum 2BW in larger versions, leaving 4 BW remaining move and not 3.

Steads gallantly allowed the move but I wanted to make sure.

Another question came up. BW for moves are only 20mm, half normal in PACTO. Does this also apply to shooting arc? Or do you get the full 40MM of arc to the side in shooting?

A similar question; does the 1/2 BW free shift to avoid friends measure 20mm in PACTO, or is it not 10MM? It didn’t matter in our game, but we were scratching our heads.
Miniature Wargaming is the only completely honorable form of warfare ever invented by man.

leadman

• Psiloi
    • View Profile
Re: PACTO turn and move
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 04:29:10 AM »
I'm curious to see what the official reply is.  We've been playing it just like Maximus.  If it doesn't have room, you can't do it.  4 mu's instead of 3 isn't a real big deal since each mu is only 20 mm.

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
  • TWZ founder, MeG author and lifelong wargamer
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 01:58:07 PM »
The halving of grand scale applies to everything.  So 1 BW is 20mm. So any TuG Turing loses 2.
Same as Maximus - if it doesn't fit it can't do it.  Shooting arc is therefore 20mm.  etc.

So only possible if a TuG that can displace a friendly SuG.

Hope you had fun. Its catchy little game ...  we have 8 players here on Saturday playing 3 games each.  Can't wait,  First real games since January!!

S
Rolling Skulls in the land or Purple

AntiokosIII

• Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 05:37:43 PM »
It somewhat anomalous that close order foot with friends to one side can turn and move, but loose order cavalry cannot, but rules is rules. Thanks for the response.
Miniature Wargaming is the only completely honorable form of warfare ever invented by man.

Simon Meg-Meister

• TWZ Team
  • Imperator
  • TWZ founder, MeG author and lifelong wargamer
    • View Profile
    • The Wargames Zone
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 08:49:57 AM »
It is and something I will store for a vs3 someday.

S
Rolling Skulls in the land or Purple